03 October 2011

Labels

I've undertaken a project to get labels on all my quilts. I've been putting it off because I hadn't settled on a labeling strategy. I have no interest in using a permanent marker on my quilts -- it just wouldn't feel right to me. I've seen a few stamping solutions that seem elegant and workable, and I may end up going that way one day.
But for now I've decided to bite the bullet and embroider the labels. I've been very satisfied with the several embroidered labels I've made before. I'm sending the Green Stag quilt to hang at the Pacific International Quilt Festival later this month, so I figured it was high time to get on top of the label backlog. Now it just needs a sleeve and it will be ready to go.

Next up was the geometric Green Windows baby quilt I mad in the spring.
Then the Shazam lightening zig-zag quilt that's finally ready to send off to the BASICS quilt gather.
Next my Modern Quilt Guild Habitat challenge entry, now titled In One Way.
And Finally a little Halloween quilt I made in my stencil quilt class. Can you tell it's spooky?

But wait ,there's more. I realize I haven't done a proper post on my finished Ripple quilt. I promise I'll get to that soon. For now here's a shot of the label I stitched into the backing just before I quilted this corner of the blanket. Then I centered one of the drops around the label.
As for the sewn-on labels, you might have guessed that I love that blanket stitch around the edges. I wish I had figured out how to get a clean stitch at the corners of the rectangles before the very last stinking corner. You can see how the part of the stitch that's supposed to sit along the side of the label pulls up over the edges at many or the corners.

The solution I came up with was to have a small diagonal stitch in the corner (so if the blanket stitches are 1/8", the diagonal stitch comes into the label only 1/16"), turn the corner, then take a small backstitch in the backing material, catching only 2 or 3 threads. Now proceed along the new side. I'm sure many of you more experienced stitchers have already solved this problem, perhaps in more elegant ways.


11 comments:

  1. I am totally with you on the permanent marker. When one puts SO much thought and care into the making of the quilt, the handstitched label is like icing on the cake. I certainly appreciate it, not sure if the folks who receive my quilts do or not. BUT I know the difference - that's what counts, right? xo KTseams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply love your embroidery labels. I've used permanent markers in the pass and I didn't happy with the result. I made a embroidery label for Alex's quilt, but I dont know if I like it. I need to find a better way to make labels for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok I confess to using a sigma pen on my last two quilts. *ducking* I kind of liked that it was my writing but I never thought of it as "pen" on my quilt. I did embroider one that was a special gift and I liked the idea of it, but my stiching was not that great and it took me a really long time. Practice makes perfect right?

    Congratulations on the Stag quilt going to PIQF!! I can't wait to see it hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you 100% on the magic marker. I got one, tested it on a scrap and haven't touched it since! I just discovered you today, via Kirstie's post: http://ocd-obsessivecraftingdisorder.blogspot.com/2011/09/quilt-along-announcement-and-go-baby.html

    Your work is incredible. I'm working on a drunkard's path project at the moment and your ripple quilt has totally changed my worldview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally use a permanent pen to write on a cloth label that I then stitch onto the quilt back... but not ideal, I agree. I think you might have shamed me into stitching them in future. They do look so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, labels are always an afterthought, and mostly, something I skip. I like your method, and it feels the most organic to me. This way, you can incorporate the label in a way that's organic to each specific project. Yeah, I like this. Beautiful quilts, Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These hand embroidered labels are lovely. You've made me think of something that is usually an afterthought in a new way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan, thank you for this post! I have been scratching my head on labeling. This is the best way I've seen (even if it is time consuming!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you popped over to my blog for a visit so I could reciprocate. That is the most wonderful drunkards path quilt I think I've ever seen. I had to go back into your archives and have a lovely look at your other work, what a pleasure that was! You make fabulous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your labels are gorgeous. for me, once the quilt is finished i just want it off of my list, so i have used a sigma pen a few times. not proud, but oh well. i used some printable fabric for a few labels and the ink washed out much faster that i thought it would. i'd like to get some printed by spoonflower, but i just can't make the big decisions. embroidery is the beautiful way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your embroidered labels! I always struggle with the labels too, but my embroidered "handwriting" is not nice looking at all. I'm having some fabric labels printed by spoonflower, but I'm not fully convinced that is the answer, either.

    ReplyDelete