22 February 2012

Bare Bones

I cut squares for this queen-sized quilt over Christmas vacation. Once I started sewing the top came together very quickly. Those 5" squares are so much easier to sew than the improve curves for Savannah Kiss.

Last November, Jan DiCintio at Daisy Janie sent the East Bay Modern Quilt Guild bolts of prints from the organic Shades of Grey line and challenged us to come up with cool stuff. I love the print designs. They're so mod and organic (in every sense). I supplemented with roughly equal grey yardage from my stash, plus a bunch of red prints and solids.

The design has a red pop in the middle that dissolves into light greys, then darker greys. But don't get to attached to all that red -- I'll be slicing it to ribbons as soon as I finish a lone star patchwork for reverse applique. This is my next stencil quilt, and it's not going to be quite as cuddly as the giraffes.

I won't have the stencil done for presentation at our Tuesday meeting, but I'm looking forward to showing this work in progress.

19 comments:

  1. Holy Cannoli!! My heart just skipped a beat!! Incredible execution - I can't stop blurring my eyes on purpose to really take it in! Thank you, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure looking forward to seeing what this becomes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Look forward to seeing what you do with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Dan, grey is my favourite colour at the moment and it looks fabulous with the red. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang! Very cool and unique. I can't wait to see your stencil spin on it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting already; can't wait to see where you take it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't expect something with that red to be cuddly! Can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it just how it is, but your hint that it won't be cuddly makes me think of a street artist I met recently and his un-cuddly red and grey (and black and white) art: http://www.flickr.com/groups/angrywoebotsfans/

    I look forward to seeing where YOU take your quilt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Dan this is going to be amazing and your are so innovative and visionary and talented for all my snide twitter joking. Can't wait to see what you do with this. Skulls maybe? Zombies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these fabrics - can't wait to see what you are planning

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dying to know where are you going with this? Somewhere fascinating no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this and can't wait to see part 2!

    She sent you guys bolts of Shades of Grey!!! I would have fainted :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. well i love it at this stage, so i can't wait to see where you will take it from here?.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see what becomes of this... The red to grey is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. O_ooo, what are you up to now Mr. Rouse? This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be watching for this one! Can't wait....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh you are 110%. I would be perfectly happy to make a quilt like this, and it's just step one for you! Your style is so intriguing... Looking forward to step 2

    ReplyDelete
  18. that quilt rocks! Gray and red is so pretty together, well another quilt I must copy! ha,ha Thanks for giving us a peek, can't wait to see it quilted.

    ReplyDelete